Saturday, April 25, 2009

Growing asparagus

Subject: Re: Mike McGroarty's 72 second gardening message. April 15, 2009

Dear Mike:

Thank you.

I just bought a dozen bare root asparagus and wasn't sure what to do with them.

Each day my back yard nursery grows from cuttings, seeds I've gathered on walks

through the neighborhood in Summer time, and a few things I've bought.

You have been an inspiration to me through the long winter depression,

giving me hope and plans for a wonderful hobby this spring.

I have posted a couple of your news letters and web site information

on my web site "gardening ideas" growingtogethercounseling.com

for others to contact you.

Having some trouble finding Green Sand in this area, nurseries do not know about it,

so I printed your news letter to take with me to

Home Depot and Lowes to try to order it.
Then I looked it up on the internet and found Green Planet and they were very Helpful. I got mine last week.

We're having our first Utah County Growing Together

"yard sale" every weekend in May

to sell some of the nursery stock I've accumulated.

I'll post and send photos.

LoLyn


Subject: Re: Mike McGroarty's 72 second gardening message.
April 15,2009

Just watching mine patiently grow from root clumps will be a unique experience;

I ordered 10 five pound bags of green sand for the gardens, I'll let you try some of it if you want.

I was going to sell most my root stock of asparagus,

but I think I'll make a whole plot of it and harvest in two years and from then on. I love asparagus with milk and hard cooked eggs in the spring.

-------Original Message-------

From: Marie Hunter
Date: 04/15/09 10:30:16
To: lolyn123@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Mike McGroarty's 72 second gardening message. April 15,2009

I started asparagus from seed and carefully nurtured it

for the full growing first year.

Then I put them outside and they thrived.

They were just starting to have asparagus looking shoots.

Then something happened, don't remember what,

and I temporarily buried them and that was the end of them,

never even saw a peek of sprout after that,

which seemed really weird.

Just the watching the patiently growing from seed was worth the experience.

Growing Asparagus by Mike

An asparagus patch is typically started with one-year-old
crowns purchased from a garden center or seed catalog.

A crown is the root system of a year-old asparagus plant grown
from seed.

There is conflicting information on how asparagus crowns
should be planted.

Traditionally it was recommended to dig
an 8-inch deep trench for the crowns, then carefully spread
out the roots within the trench, refilling it a bit at a
time as the plants grow.

However, recent comparison studies have shown that

it isn't necessary to gradually fill the trench
or spread out the roots.
Additionally, the deeper asparagus crowns are planted,
the more the yield will be reduced.

To plant your asparagus crowns in the spring, start by
digging a trench that is 5-6 inches deep.
For every 50 feet of row, add a pound of 0-46-0 triple superphosphate fertilizer
or two pounds of 0-20-0 superphosphate fertilizer to the trench.

Next, toss the crowns into the trench, right on top of the
fertilizer. The plants will grow well whether or not the
roots are spread out.

Place the crowns 18 inches apart,with five feet between rows.
This will provide good air circulation for the plants

and help prevent fungal diseases.

Finally, backfill the trench to the original soil level,

being careful to not compact the soil over the crowns.

If you have poorly draining or clay soil, it would be

better to plant your asparagus in a raised bed.

You can learn how to create a raised bed here:
http://freeplants.com/preparing-raised-planting-beds.htm

The asparagus spears cannot be harvested

the same year the crowns were planted.


The plants need this time to build their energy so they can produce well.

The following year you may harvest a small crop over a three-week period,

and over a 4-6 week period the year after that.

It is the third year after planting when you can continue to harvest

for the full 6-8 week season.

Stop harvesting when new spears become less than a half inch in diameter.

Once harvesting is done,

allow the plants to grow and keep their fern-like foliage

through fall and winter.

The foliage will catch snow that will provide moisture

and insulation for the roots.

Cut or mow the foliage in early spring before new growth begins to emerge.

Have a great week!
-Mike McGroarty

(more personal stuff about Mike and Pam and pictures
of our grandkids)
http://www.freeplants.com/stuff.htm

P.S. The message board is here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/519353/



McGroarty Enterprises Inc.
P.O. Box 338
Perry, Ohio 44081, USA

To unsubscribe or change subscriber options visit:
http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?LMxsnKystCwsLAys7MxstEa0LGzMnEyMTA==

Thanks MIKE, I keep saying I'm not going to post your news letters, but they are so good. I hope every one is subscribing that has an interest in gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment