Tuesday, April 28, 2009

City Inspections, Kick backs and Rebates Warnings

Subject: FYI Gas & electric Company Rebates end this week

We finally got around to calling the gas company (we meaning my Husband) because
I thought all the work we had paid for on the house surely earned us some
rebates, but what we got was lists of things that COULD be done by licensed
contractors that would practically be paid for by rebates through the gas
and Electric companies; I was amazed.

The inspector said the work we had was "shoddy" and way below code and below
safety standards, and to get the rebates we had to have licensed contractors
redo, or do it by sealing the under floor ducts, insulating them, and
insulating the ceiling after sealing the ducts above our bedroom,
but they practically pay us back to have it done,
so if you are suffering from below code, or below safety or "shody workmanship" (they actually used that term)
on your ducting or insulation, get it redone now before (I think it is May
7) when the reabates shrink way down.

Right now between the two gas and electric companies you can actually make a few bucks on the rebates if you can get a contractor.
The Gas co. Inspector shook his head and wondered aloud who had ever
inspected "This mess" and got it approved by the city. I have to wonder too.


Just thought you might like to know if that is the case with your house or
rental you only have a week.

It might be good to have it inspected next door because I think you had the same team do that house as you had do mine.



Dear LoLyn,

As I build, every hour or so some of us builders say something about what the inspectors will inspect.

However, because this is for my own use, I make sure it is stronger than it needs to be.

G

To: G
From LoLyn

That would be my philosophpy, but apparently our builders had just the opposite.



Date: 4/26/2009 4:32:46 PM
To: lolyn123@comcast.net
Subject: City inspectors and Utility Rebates

Oh good grief!! I almost missed the whole point. I read down to the last line saying you just thought I might want to know.

Then, and only then did I see the kind reference that led me to realize you had copied your builder and the city about the incompetent inspector!!

I kept hearing about it on the TV.
I hadn't even thought about the apartments!!
I'm sure the house could use upgrades, too.
The new windows I put in a few years ago definitely have saved on heating and cooling.
Yes, I will call tomorow and check on it.

"He shook his head and wondered aloud who had ever inspected

"This mess" and got it approved by the city."

Oh my, oh my how absolutely insulting and offensive!!
How could he have dared voice such a truth??
I really, really hope he reports the inspector.
He was probably just so sick of the crap that he signed off on it to get the,
uum, remodeler people out of his hair.

Part of the, oh this wasn't done right, is part of the game.
You don't know how many repairmen have come in and commented on work done by other repairmen of the same type.
The sad thing beyond the game is that they are often right.
That's why I stick with my Expert Rooter people, then we always know who did what if indeed it is wrong.

I also saw on TV where the contractors were ripping people off.
Apparently the money is paid directly to the people who then pay the contractor for the job.

They would just raise the prices of whatever you wanted done to make sure they pocketed all the money.

Make sure you call around and see what a comparable job would be by someone else.

It was barely just now that I put all those pieces together.

Thank you,


From: LoLyn
To: siblings and kids
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:06 PM
Subject: City inspectors and Utility Rebates

I sent a copy of my letter,(above) just straight, no comment, no editoralizing or moralizing to the mayor and city council just now. You think they might get the point, or miss it like you did.


From: LoLyn
Date: 4/26/2009 4:36:33 PM
To:
Subject: City inspectors and Utility Rebates

Thank you. Thank you very much. Yes. They gave us quite a list of contractors. My trouble is getting my husband to call them before April is over. I fear I will have to do it my self.

No comments:

Post a Comment